Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scheduled reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick283

MIS
Jul 5, 2002
US
I need to have all of my W2K & XPSP1a Pro workstations reboot every night at midnight.

I've been trying to use an AT command and shutdown.exe in a scheduled task. The job is scheduled...but it doesn't actually reboot the machine. We use this method on many other machines and it works fine.

I do realize that the shutdown.exe on XP is different. I've even tried using the shutdown.exe from the W2K Resource Kit.

Basically, the job will run fine when an admin is logged in, so I'm figuring that when no user is logged on the job doesn't have proper rights (even though it should be running as SYSTEM).

I've also tried creating the job on an XP, and then copying the xxx.job file into the windows\tasks\ folder on the other clients. Again, it gets listed as a scheduled task, it runs, but doesn't actually restart the machine.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back