Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled Reboot of MS Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatCat

MIS
Jun 9, 1999
US
I need to find out how to make the terminal server reboot. Is there a Microsoft Scheduling Service that can be enabled on the Terminal Server.

Never actually tried this, but in the NT 4.0 Resource kit, there is program called Shutdown.exe.<br>
Create a batch file that contains the command:<br>
"Shutdown /r", (the "/r" restarts after the shutdown; try /? to see options) then schedule it to run using WinAT (also in resource kit).<br>
You can also use the batch file to first send out alerts, and shutdown services, or whatever before the system reboots. (There always someone on the server!)Also, check Microsoft dot com for some advice. A few searches of their knowledgebase should produce something good for you.<br>
Good luck.

Install shutdown and at from the resource kit. I think the parameters for shutdown are something like...<br>
<br>
shutdown /r /y /t:0 <br>
<br>
(restart, yes to questions, time=now)<br>
<br>
If you're in the UK there was an article answering exactly this question in the current edition of PCW (Personal Computer World).<br>
<br>

i have this running on several terminal servers here.<br>
from the dos box enter the following command:<br>
<br>
at 23:00 /every:m,t,w,th,f,s,su shutdown /reboot<br>
<br>
This will schedule a reboot of the terminal server every night at 11:00 pm or whatever time you put in...<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back