Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled DTS Package execution question

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtechy

Programmer
Sep 23, 2002
US
I'm creating a scheduled DTS package that may run for hours or even days. Is there a way to check and see if the package is currently executing without re-executing it again? If so, how can I prevent the subsequent execution of the DTS package from occurring??

You could schedule the DTS package w/in a SQL Server Job. The first step in the job would be to execute the package. The second step, which follows the completed execution of step 1, would resubmit the DTS package to be executed immediately or at a set period of time after step 1 completes.

Thanks

J. Kusch

I'm a newbie to this site and DTS as well, but in the past I have had a similar problem where I had a process that needed to know when a group of separate processes had completed.

In other words, when processes 1-9 had all completed successfully, process 10 (which used output data from 1-9) was free to run.

The way I handled that was to have 1-9 write entries to a table when they completed. The table had a trigger that fired on inserts which checked the table to see if all of the processes had written entries. If all of the processes had finished (and thereby written a row to the table) then it fired off process 10.

Perhaps this might help with your situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back