Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scheduled Back-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

judas90

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
GB
I am trying to configure my PDC to do scheduled backups using the at command. I want it to run a batch file at 4:30 each day. I have started the schedule service, but it still wont run. This is the command I've typed:

at 16:30 / every: Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday "c:\winnt\backup.cmd"

Any thoughts?

Try this:

AT 16:30 /Every:M,T,W,Th,F "C:\winnt\backup.cmd"

mot98
[cheers]
"I'd rather be dead and cool..then alive and uncool."
---Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man

also make sure the schedule service is turned on. You can locate this on the control pannel in services.

I have actually got the batch file to run, but when it get to the mapped network drives which it is set up to backup, it asks for a password and then fails.

I have got the scheduled backup to run fine now. But theres another problem. When the backup gets to my mapped network drives(which I need to backup also), I get an error saying I do not have permission to access portions of . (event ID 8001). I have added user 'system' full control to these mapped drives but still cannot back them up.

Any ideas please?

When you say "added user 'system' full control to these mapped drives" you may have added the system of the local machine. Each workstation/server has its own 'local' system user. It may be better to use a domain user with access to these mapped drives so that you won't have problems in access.

Say, in my case, I have a domain\bkpadmin user which I use to backup certain drives on some servers.

Which user did you use to map on the drives?

what you need to do is go to the services section. if your in windows 2000 go to start menu --> run --> services.msc
windows nt go to startmenu --> control pannel --> services

then find the schedular and double click. there you can set the profile to use (make it the administrator profile)

Your other option is to add this to the batchfile

net use \\computer\sharename /user:domain\username password

however this puts a pss in the batch file i dont know if you want to do that.

Your problem is you have permisions on one of the machines but not on the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back