Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Schedule Restart 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllieFant

MIS
May 15, 2001
US
Hi,

I have a computer running Windows XP (Home Edition) and I would like to be able to schedule my computer to restart itself at a certain time each day.

I am on sattelite internet and it seems that my email tends to hang up (and then bounce) if the computer isn't restarted about every 24 hours or so. Sometimes I am not home on the weekends to do this and would like to not to have to worry about it.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

Ellie
**Using Access 97 at work**
**Using Access 2000 at home**

Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Scheduled Tasks. Double click Add Scheduled Task. Click Next, and then click the browse button and browse to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and find the shutdown.exe file and click open. Choose the schedule options you want, enter the user and password of an administrative user on your pc, click next, put a check mark in the box that says "Open Advanced properties for this task when I click Finish" and click finish. The properties page will open and just add a -r at the end of the run line ( it should look like this c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -r). Your pc will now reboot at the scheduled time.

Thank you SO MUCH!
Ellie

lena.wood@starband.net

I did what you said and it restarted up to the point where you need to choose what user to sign in as. I am the only user (besides guest - which isn't turned on). I need the computer to completely start up. Is there a way to make it automatically sign on? I didn't have a password on my account but the schedule wouldn't run without one.

Thanks again for your help, Ellie

lena.wood@starband.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back