Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Schedule Defrag in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

dynamictiger

Technical User
Dec 14, 2001
AU
I have been working on an application for about a week. It is fairly complex, involving subforms of subforms and the code is tight but demanding.

After a week I have found that some of the base functions like record selectors have started to play up. Running Windows defrag fixed this.

However, I would like to add this in, so I don;t have to force my users to do this manually. Any suggestions?

I know this isn't the answer your looking for, but I would suggest not using the windows built in defragmentor... It's not a good program... The way I would suggest maintaining the disk's of your users is to find a good program that does all of that in the back ground...

Windows defragmentor was accualy given to Microsoft by another software company as a demo, to try and get more people to buy their full vertion that does what I suggested you look for up top... The only problem I'm having right now is I can't remember the name of the company, or the software... I'll look around to see if I can find it for you...

--James
junior1544@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

Pardon me if I'm misinterpreting your question, but...

Windows has a Task Scheduler that will kick of Defrag (or any other program) at the time/day/date/... that you specify.

Go to Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Task Scheduler and set it up the way you want it. (This is on W2K, but it's pretty much the same on W98SE and others.)

HTH,
Rodger Fields
Rodger Fields
Software Engineer
Pflugerville, Texas (suburb of Austin)

No, that's okay. I'm thinking ahead for when I do not have access to the users computer and trying to get them to schedule a defrag is difficult if not impossible. I thought it would be a good idea to call it programmatically or to signal the user it needs to be done. Else I am going to have a lot of calls about nothing.

Defrag is no longer an item that can be scheduled under windows 2000...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back