Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sceen files & external renderers

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeland

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
MY
I have received an inquiry from a architech/design firm that has heard about improving their work by having a linux render farm and are interested in having one setup for them.

A bit of searching in the internet shows a few renderers, most notably yafray, povray & renderman that run on Linux. Further reasearch reveals people having problems "glueing" things together from the 3ds workstation all the way to the final dvd video. All the information I find is scarce and vague at best. Having never used any of these software before, all I can make out is that I'll need:

1. A "sceen file" (I that is the correct term) from 3ds max which defines the video or presentation.
2. Feed this sceen file into an external renderer to generate all the video frames.
3. Merge the rendered frames into a video stream with music and/or naration.

I can handle the part 3 as I do a bit of home videos and video transcoding on my free time but I'm not too sure about parts 1 and 2. I suppose the main question is can a 3ds sceen file be fed directly to an external renderer or does it need to be converted to some other format by using other tools?

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back