Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scedule a job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayladilara

Programmer
Apr 11, 2002
DE
I have a database on SQL Server 7. The database has been created and populated via ODBC with a batch file on the source DBMS(non Microsoft) and has been running on the ASP Pages on the local intranet. So far everything is fine.
Now, I need to create an ongoing automoted ( maybe daily or weekly basis) data importing process.
How shall I go about it?
Any insight?

Many Thanks.

where do you want to import the data? to a file? or directly to the other dbms?
you can actually use "Jobs" (via Enterprise Manager, under Management - SQL Server Agent - Jobs) to schedule automated jobs. it's powerful enough, you can run external programs, execute queries etc.

From the other DBMS(non-Microsoft) onto the SQL Server.This has been done by a file written in completely different language,which runs on OpenInsight and populates the database (via ODBC) on the SQL Server. I know "Jobs". In that case, how can I get it recignosed and scheduled this external process(program)? Or do I have to use DTS and create a package first and later write an AciveX script to automate it?

you can specify the type of job to run as "Operating System Command (CmdExec)" when you add new step to your SQL Server scheduled job. you can ask SQL Server to execute the import program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back