Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCCP, SIP and H.323

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLHEC

Technical User
Jul 26, 2001
US
howdy. i have a general question concerning call setup and call handling. i am in search of how a call actually works through the 3 control protocols. im pretty sure h.323 handles call setup AND all voice traffic as well. as opposed to sip where setup may be handled by one and the actual voice is sent dirrectly to the other phone. i have yet to find out how sccp works in comparison to these 2. i see CM does call setup, but does it then also act as a middleman for all of the voice payload, or just setup/disconnect? thanks in advance

Just setup and disconnect. Main diff between sccp and H.323 or kinda sip for that matter is that sccp is more of a thin client.. most of the call control and features are held in CCM.

When a phone starts a call.. it sends a signalling request to CCM and it contacts the other endpoint on your behalf and helps you negotiate codec and call control params. Then it completely drops out of the conversation until you request a call control feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back