Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCCM 2007, install of packages that are MSI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdog2020

Instructor
Jun 16, 2003
US
Hi there,
i've got SCCM 2007 setup in our office. I've got several install packages installing just fine, including a customized Office 2003 install (setup.exe and MST file) and some minor utilities that have setup.iss files recorded.

BUT...

I can't get any package that is an MSI file to install correctly.

I've done every variation of:
msiexec /I <filename>.MSI /qn

and etc that I could think of. I've used absolute paths in quotes for the MSI files, I've tried a full system path to msiexec (c:\windows\system32) but in no case does this work.

I've also tried skipping a call to msiexec, and just referencing the MSI and interaction options.

What the heck am I missing? Specifically I'm trying to install QuickTime as a command like this, which of course works fine via a batch script on the client, or when PSExec'ing it:
msiexec.exe /i QuickTime.msi /qn

Goodness, I finally got it to work by doing:

msiexec.exe /qn /i"\\server\share\packages\QuickTime\QuickTime.msi"

But, go figure, the uninstall doesn't work now. Anyone have any SCCM2007-specific insight for me on that?

the thread which executes the install and has access to the url you show, i presume it is a different account which is trying to uninstall? my msi knowledge is supposed to be excellent,...gut its not...does the process which is trying to do the uninstall have right to access the folder where it was installed from? guess you could check in the registry uninstall strings and it will tell you where it is looking for the uninstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back