Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scanning outlook msgs for spam filtering ...like norton does

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryk

Programmer
Jun 13, 2001
US
Sorry if this isn't a perfect fit for the API forum...It seemed the closest!

As an exercise for my newest language (java), I'd like to attempt to make a client side spam filter/blocker that grabs mail when outlook/express loads ...in the same way Norton Antivirus does.

With Norton, your Outlook pop3 server settings become "Pop.Norton.Antivirus", and then **somehow** Norton gets a peek at the message before Outlook does.

Could any of you guess how this process works, and how I might borrow the idea for my filter? Does Norton have it's own pop3 client running in the background? (ugly for me to develop) ...and Once Norton approves a message, are there OLE tools to pass the message along to Outlook?

I'm not looking for a howto, but if any of you have hints or general ideas I'd be most grateful!

Thanks, jerry

I think you're almost correct in your assumption.
For what I can see NAV installs a kind of pop&smtp proxy server, so Outlook asks NAV for the messages and NAV retrieves them, checks for virus & spam and if all it's clean it delivers them to Outlook.

The same for SMTP: Outlook sends the message to NAV where it's checked for infections and if the message is clean NAV sends it.

Gerardo Czajkowski
ltc.jpg

After thinking about it, I'm going to lower my standards and just have my app check the pop3 server every couple minutes....like other client side apps.

I might go with the "outlook handoff" idea after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back