Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scanning for non-compliant workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpoutwithmcafee

Technical User
Mar 14, 2007
ZA
Greetings, does anyone know of a tool I can use that scan our network for workstations that do not have either the EPO Agent of Mcafee Virusscan installed (non compliance). I am reluctant to use the Rogue system detection tool as it picks up anything with an IP adress so printers, etc are also included.
Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew

HelpOut:

If you're using ePO v3.5 or above, what you need is already there. They rolled some Foundstone products into the suite and called it Rogue System Detection. Description can be found beginning on page 165 of ePO_36_ProductGuide.pdf and probably nearby in the v3.5 guide. Be prepared for some initially strenuous design planning and device management at the console...--The Bug Guy

Sorry, got interrupted while reading your post and replied before I finished reading. Pretty much every compliance tool I've seen will inventory everything on the network that has a MAC address and/or IP. Generally, the real malicious intruder on your network will disable NetBIOS and hard-code an address onto his machine, so all he appears as is a MAC and IP. Once the administrative work of identifying and excluding all the non-PC assets that are supposed to be there, Rogue detection works well.--The Bug Guy

If you're running an AD network, you can achieve your goals by having a tasks to sync EPO with the AD.

Assuming that all the machine are in the AD, they will come up in EPO. Trhough the report, you can find the machine with no-protection.

Other possibilites is the logon script. Test if EPOAgent is installed. If not, push it. Then EPO will take care of the products.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back