Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanning a carriage return...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdgsogc

Vendor
Feb 26, 2004
CA
I am scanning a barcode into a field. Once the barcode is scanned, the screen displays the item's description. The user next needs to hit the enter key to submit the scan.

I am looking for a way to use the scan gun to enter the carriage return, so that the user does not have to change interfaces. They would simply scan a "carriage return" barcode that is taped to their monitor.

Any ideas?

You can adjust most scanners so that you can set the default character after a scan. The scanner is probably outputting something. Either change it to CrLf or change the scanner to supply it automatically.

-David
2006 Microsoft Most Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

I am able to set my scanner to do that. But that's not the business logic that I need. I need to scan an item. Then allow the user to see the results of the scan and then I would like to "scan" a barcode that would provide the carriage return.

Print a label with '999999' on it, and then have your app search for that unique record number, and replace it with the vbCrLf character.

-David
2006 Microsoft Most Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back