Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanner twain driver installation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

motosno

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
CA
I'm trying to install a new Epson Perfection 1660 Photo scanner on a PIII - 500 system running Windows XP home-SP1 (Upgraded from Win 98 a year ago). I did not succeed to make it work by using the installation CD and even applying a new driver update from the Epson site. It is a USB 2. scanner, my PC ports are ESB 1.1.

The twain driver would not install. After making driver and programs installation as recommeed by Epson, I get the following message from the installation wizard after plugging the scanner: "The required section was not found in the INF. file".
The SETUPAPI.LOG shows : #EO67 Can not find "Cass install32" #E142 Class:{6bdd.....} Installation failed. Error 0xe0000101: The required section was not found in the INF. file.

So, the installation must use another process that I don't know of. I assume the file is OK since installations must have succeeded elswhere!
By checking the registry I noticed that the system-supplied device setup classes Guid for Imaging Device {6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f} was not there, may have been accidently removed ?..
So I created the following key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}]
"Class"="Image"
@="Imaging devices"
"Installer32"="sti_ci.dll,ClassInstall"
"TroubleShooter-0"="tshoot.chm,hdw_scanner.htm"
"Icon"="0"

Still get the same message and the scanner does not show in the Device Manager.
Seems that the installation process does not see the GUID class and is trying to install it, using [ClassInstall32] section of some .inf file. ( The Epson1660 .inf does not have a [ClassInstall32] section.

Tried uninstall - install many times; USB Bios settings OK; install using safe mode; found nothing on the net specific to this problem.

Is the registry damaged, or what else? A new full install of XP is our of question for now.

How about running an XP repair? It may just correct the appropriate registry entry, or it may then accept the installer. You have nothing to lose except a bit of time. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thank you for your reply Jim.
I may end up running an XP repair. But before doing it, I'd like to find a way to re-establish the system-supplied device setup classes GUID for Imaging Devices. I guess it's more than just adding the key in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\] I just can't find this kind of info anywhere.
Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem with my CANON scanner (Lide 50).
Look at the given link and download the registry entries.
There you also find some answers.
After loading these entries my installation procedure worked !

The control set of the AGFA scanner in the registry can be deleted.

Bye

Norbi

My scanner is finally working and to close this post and may be, help someone. I provide hereafter how my problem was solved . After all, the solution was quite simple As mentionned in my orignal message the system-supplied device setup classes Guid for Imaging Device {6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f} was not there. So it seems that adding the following registry key was enough information for the system to terminate the installation.
[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}] "Class"="Image"
@="Imaging devices"
"TroubleShooter-0"="hcp://help/tshoot/tsInputDev.htm"
"Icon"="0"
After two unsuccessfull Twain driver uninstall-install, I saw in the device manager: Unknown (USB?) devices. Right-clicked on the subkey to get "properties" and saw the message "No driver installed for this device". Without disconnecting the scanner, (Epson recommends that the driver installation be done without the scanner connected) clicked on the "install" button and... got the message that the installation was successfull. I also saw "Imaging devices" appear in the Device Manager. Gave the sanner a trial and everything was working fine.
So simple! [smile2]

Hello motosno!

Your tip was really, really helpful to me as well - after a whole day trying to install my new Epson Perfection 1660 Photo scanner on Windows 2000 professional, I found your hint and it helped me!

Many thanks and best regards,

Julijan

Brilliant!

I've had the same problem trying to get XP to recognise and load drivers for my Minolta Dimage DS Dual II scanner.

Under the empty reg key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{6BDD1FC6-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}] which I found from the INF file, I added the following entries:

"Class"="Image"
@="Imaging devices"
"TroubleShooter-0"="hcp://help/tshoot/tsInputDev.htm"
"Icon"="0"

XP then listed the DS Dual2 scanner in Computer Management - Devices - Imaging devices, with a question mark. I clicked on the DS Dual2, selected update drivers and XP loaded the correct drivers.

I'm getting the same error message: “An error occurred during the installation of this device. The required section was not found in the INF” when trying to install a Nikon COOLSCAN 8000 scanner via Firewire on my Win2kPro system. I'm a newbie when it comes to editing the registry, although I did give it a shot: I pasted the scanner’s INF file into the registry under the Class folder. Too simple to work, I guess.

If anyone would care to restate the general idea in solving this problem, I'd be much obliged!

(If it helps, I've attached the INF file below).

; LS80002K.INF -- Windows Still Image Setup File
; of Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 8000 ED INF File for Windows 2000
; Manufacturer: Nikon Corporation

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Class=Image
ClassGUID={6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}
Provider=%Provider%

[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect=*

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=11

[Manufacturer]
%Mfg%=Models

[Models]
%Device1394LS8000%=LS8000.Install,SBP2\Nikon___&LS-8000_ED______&CmdSetId104d8

;///// LS8000 Install Section /////
[LS8000.Install]
Include=sti.inf
Needs=STI.SCSISection
SubClass=StillImage
DeviceType=1
Capabilities=3
AddReg=Installer.AddReg
CopyFiles=NKDUSD.CopySysFiles
DeviceSubType=0x0101
UninstallSection=Uninstall.NKDUSD

[LS8000.Install.Services]
Include=sti.inf
Needs=STI.SCSISection.Services

[Installer.AddReg]
HKR,,HardwareConfig,1,2
HKR,,DevLoader,,*NTKERN
HKR,,USDClass,,"{07C71AC0-FA90-11d3-B409-00C04F87578E}"
HKCR,CLSID\{07C71AC0-FA90-11d3-B409-00C04F87578E},,,"Nikon STI USD"
HKCR,CLSID\{07C71AC0-FA90-11d3-B409-00C04F87578E}\InProcServer32,,,%11%\NKSCNUSD.DLL
HKCR,CLSID\{07C71AC0-FA90-11d3-B409-00C04F87578E}\InProcServer32,ThreadingModel,,"Both"
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"scsiscan.sys"

[SourceDisksNames]
1=%DiskName%,,

[SourceDisksFiles]
NKSCNUSD.DLL=1

[NKDUSD.CopySysFiles]
NKSCNUSD.DLL

[Scsi.Scanner.CopySys32Files.NT]

[Uninstall.NKDUSD]
DelFiles=NKDUSD.CopySysFiles

[Strings]
Mfg="Nikon Corporation"