Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanner Outputs Bands of Color But No Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeylemor2

Technical User
Aug 21, 2011
PH
Hi,

My scanner has suddenly malfunctioned. The scan head moves but it does'nt output any images - only bands of colors. Any ideas?

The scanner is a Microtek Scanmaker 4800 and I am using the lastest ScanWizard 5 v6.3 software.

Thanks.

It has passed on. Unless you can try it on another PC and make it work, assume it's useful life is over.

I opened the scanner to check if there is loose connection somewhere or a blown capacitor. It appears that there is none.

Although I found out that there is a small tear in the ZIF cable, but its far to the side and I'm not sure if the covered wire near the side has been cut. Could this be it? I was wondering whether it is worth it to buy a replacement cable?

Btw, I also tested the power supply adapter and it's still OK.

It certainly could be the issue.

But:
It may not be a purchaseable part
It may not be worth the money just to find out, even if available.

How much did you pay for the scanner?? Those things are kind of throw-away unless you bought a SUPER good one.

Goom is right, you can get a good scanner for 100-125, and a really good one for under 200.00. And most parts are not considered as serviceable parts, so not available to order.

Thanks for your reply guys.

I agree that many cheap peripherals, like printers and scanners, are usually considered as disposables. Anyway, I just wanted to confirm that it was not just a minor issue, or something that can be easily repaired, before I throw it away.

I am just curious guys, but how many times have you replaced your desktop scanners/printers? This is already my second scanner, but what can you say about the durability of brands/models that you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back