Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanner -i running for 96 hours?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnixSkunk

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2002
US
Hello, everyone...
I have been running a scanner -ivvv for about 96 hours now. Its still going, yes, but there is only 40 Gigs worth of data on these tapes(20 Gigs each). Does anyone know WHY these two LTO tapes are taking this long to scan? Originally, these two tapes were made on a Solaris Legato machine, and I moved them to an AIX box to begin scanning in their indexes. This is the second set of tapes I have tried for this backup and BOTH sets of tapes have behaved this way( I was worried it might be a bad tape). I'm at a COMPLETE loss, my boss is NOT happy, and when I got tapes from a different site, they worked fine. 3-4 hours for each tape. The block size shows up at 64 on the AIX machine's devices, as well as on the Solaris machine's device. I have already called Legato as per our support agreement and THEY could not tell me whats wrong either. Please...anyone....help?

UnixSkunk - Tux's Evil Nemesis

Hi,

We had the same problem here a while ago.

What we did was abort the scanner, stop the services, remove the client index's and media database (Obviously it will only if this is purely a test server) and redo the scanner.

It then went through in about 3 hours, it just means that you have to bite the bullet and keep your fingers crossed that it will go faster the next time. It did for us.

Good luck.

Regards
KeefB

[lightsaber]

Hi, Keefb.
Unfortunately this is not a test server. :) We're running about 6 LTO drives on this jukebox, and at least one is running all 24 hours...The media index is sort of required for this machine. I'll mention this to my boss, though.

UnixSkunk - Tux's Evil Nemesis

There is a bug in the scanner command. Legato support told us to use nsrck -L7 -t date clientname. This worked great for us! Do a man page on nsrck.

These are two different issues:

- you need to run scanner if you want to add an unknown media to the media db or the file index db.
- if you have valid index backups, why would you use scanner
to search through your media if you can just recover the last
index backups. This is what nsrck -L7 does automatically
for you. It is much faster, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back