Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scanner -i -c <client> 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixgy

Technical User
Dec 28, 2001
US
Hello.

It appears that when I re-load the media and index database from an older tape via scanner -i -c <client>, that the information is maintained in the database for only a day. The next day I must re-scan the tape all over again. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way around it?

Thanks!

unixgy

You have your browse/retnetion periods set too low.
When it reapplies them then the entries are deleted.

Try upping your browse/retention periods (if they are a week, set them to a month) and look after a few days.
If the values are still there, then look at a more realistic value for the periods.
Bear in mind the example of week/month assumes the entries you recover are less than a month old.

If you are using Legato 6.X you can set the browse retention period on an individual save set

Have a look at the nsrmm with the -e and -w options.

Hope this helps

I've experienced this.
I have a 1-month browse policy.
In my case, I scanned in a 3-month old tape and the next day the index entries were gone. I would expect it to give that entry the same 1-month browse window that a new entry would get, but it does not appear to.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I am now able to scan in save sets and retain them long enough to actual utilize them.

On a related note, I ran

mminfo -r &quot;volume, ssflags, sumflags, name, ssid&quot; <clientname>

The flags fields for the SaveSets I am trying to re-load contain an &quot;E&quot;. The man pages say this means they are recyclable. Can I still somehow get these re-loaded via scanner?

It doesn't appear to be working for me. Again, any help is greatly appreciated!

Unixgy

I Would Like to Close Out this Thread. Thanks to Everyone Who Responded.

UnixGy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back