Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanner connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiffy47

Programmer
Apr 6, 2004
GB
This ancient Linotype-Hell Scanner ELS-2100 that I've acquired and would like to get functioning has two sockets at the back. One is for a 50 pin Centronics plug and the other is for a 25 pin SCSI. Does anyone know what they are for? Will the Centronics be for link to the PC and the scsi for daisy-chaining to a printer, or would they just be two options for linking to the PC?
My PC doesn't offer a 50 pin input so if guess I should get a SCSI to SCSI cable and see if it works. If anyone knows anythin about these scanners I'd be interested to hear form you.

Life...It's difficult not to take it personally.

the SCSI connection is for your computer. SCSI has a fast through put for what appently is a jamming scanner. Just get a SCSI card and attach it...

Tom

A typical Centronics connector has 36 pins. You're sure that yours is 50 pins?

Usually the SCSI is the one with 50 pins. SCSI ports are not standard in PCs, you will need to install an interface card just for that purpose. It will probably be cheaper to buy a new scanner with USB than just to get a SCSI card and cable.

But LPT ports still are available on many motherboards. DB-25 to Centronics cables are the standard with printers and you shall be able to get such a cable just anywhere.

I don't like to put working equipment to trash, but try to find docs and drivers for this dinosaur before shedding any more money on it.

You could also get a Parallel (Centronics) to USB adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back