Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scanner authenticating to PC to deposit files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I have a Xerox WorkCentre 6015NI and I'm trying to get the "scan to network PC" feature to work with a new laptop. It has Windows 8.1 (Microsoft Surface Pro) on it. I'm trying to figure out what user name I should put into the scanner address book for it to authenticate. I'm getting authentication failed. The address book is pointing to the correct static IP of the laptop, so it has to be user name or password related that is failing.

The user name is something like: Joe Problem
and then below that it says: jproblem@emailaddress.com

So, is the user name the actual name (Joe Problem) or is it the email address. I guess I just don't know how Windows 8 treats the Microsoft type of account vs. a local user account.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

While it might be the correct static ip of the laptop, that doesn't automatically mean it's a username/password problem. It could just as easily be a firewall related or even the file sharing service itself. (note this is coming from someone who has *never* successfully setup "scan to network" on an MFP - though we have tried almost a dozen times).

note this is coming from someone who has *never* successfully setup "scan to network" on an MFP - though we have tried almost a dozen times
Well, I guess you wouldn't have been the first person I would have wanted to respond to my post then, to be honest!!!

No, a Windows 7 PC is set up and working properly, so let's not focus on anything other than the user name issue for right now. Which user name is it? Joe Problem or jproblem@emailaddress.com

:) True, though some of the principals should be the same.

I guess which username would depend on what type of account are you using? Local, Microsoft, or Domain?

For local you would probably use: LOCAL-MACHINE-NAME\username
For domain you would probably use: Domain\username
For a Microsoft account, you might use the email address, but then again it might be mapping to a local account. Check Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts (yes i know that's twice). That might give you an idea of the account to use.

Now that I think about it, I recall having a very hard time the first time I set up the first computer and it turned out to be a shared folder that wasn't sharing properly. I guess, it's time to test using a different computer with a known good share!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back