Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ScanDisk Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomR100

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
US
I have been trying to run ScanDisk on my PC's C: drive. I first get an error saying that ScanDisk has tried to stop and start ten time do I want to see this warning again. I click No.

It sits about five minutes and gives another message saying something like the drive has been locked by another program please unlock it and run ScanDisk again. The message does not give the other program so how can I find out what is running in order to successfully run ScanDisk?

Thank you again,
TomR100

Boot to safe mode and scan, you've got processes running and writing to the disk while it's scanning so it restarts.

safemode will not start up those programs so you can do a scandisk and reboot

Press F8 at startup to get to safemode

~Shmoes

If all else fails, you could restart in MS-DOS, and type this:
scandisk/all
and press return to start running Scandisk from DOS.

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:

couple other suggestions. make sure your screen saver is off or any wallpaper that may cycle.

also when you boot you can hold the shift key down which will bypass systray icons

this has worked in the past for me...good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back