Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scandisk finding error in amount of free space, can't load windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

wncads

Vendor
Nov 1, 1999
US
I have a new sys with new mb, cpu, ram, and power supply. New hard drive. When setup runs scandisk i get an error message about amount of free space being reported is wrong. I choose to fix, system says fixed and then erratically shuts down and reboots... will not load windows at all..... got another brand new hard drive and the same thing is happening. one drive was WD, one was and IBM which I think is made by seagate. Does anyone have a clue on what is up here? I am getting ready to swap ram and then board an cpu out again. The boards are MSI, they are P4 boards and I am running a 1.4ghz celeron cpu. If anyone knows what is up please reply. Thanks. Keith Buchanan
AplusNetworking.com
keith@aplusnetworking.com

also forgot to mention, if i choose not to fix the error then the system halts and requires a reboot... Keith Buchanan
AplusNetworking.com

one more item, the BIOS can see the entire hard drive size of 40gb so it is not a drive limit size issue.. Keith Buchanan
AplusNetworking.com

You've almost certainly got a harware error (memory, cpu, psu etc) - elimination process (I'd start with memory)

Did you try both controllers? I would test the hard drive on another computer if I couldn't then I would start from the begining and format and load windows.
Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back