Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scandisk and Defrag not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrydoughty

Technical User
Aug 31, 2000
GB
I have tried to run scan disk and it gets so far on checking folders (about 1/5 of bar - 6 bar sections) and then reverts to checking file allocation tables and on again to checking folders.

On defrag checking drive for errors only achieves 1% and then for a slpit second tries 2% and then reverts to 0% and then 1%

WHY????

Are you running Windows? Just a question.
Make sure all programs in the background are shut down. Make sure all screen savers are shut down. If anything kicks off during the scandisk, it will think the contents of the hard drive has changed and it will start over. Before I knew what I was doing, a scandisk took all weekend. Once I let scandisk be the only application running, an initial pass takes 20 minutes, now a weekly scandisk happens while I go take a leak.

Hope it helps

Just a piece of advice
You can just simply run scandisk and defrag in safemode.
run scandisk first then defrag.
you'll notice it will be slightly faster in safemode too.
:)

Just one further point that may be relevant - somehow my system tools folder has arrived in my desk top area. Would this affect things? If so how do I remedy the situation?

Thanks,

most likely it's just a shortcut. nothing to worry about.

Thanks,

The system tools was in the Programmes/Accessories but isn't now just on desk top.

I did a diskscan in safe mode and all was OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back