Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scan Disk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drol

Instructor
Mar 13, 2002
GB
This may be a silly question, does Windows 2000 have a Scandisk utility? If so how do I access it?

My computer -> stop over the Harddesk u want to scan , right click it -> properties -> tools -> desk check up .. this is the only scandesk available in windows 2000
Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

You might want to also run CHKDSK : /f where x: is the drive you want to check. IF CHKDSK can't lock it for it's own use, you will have to reboot the computer and CHKDSK will run and check for problems. Still one of the best ways to do a "scandisk", IMHO.

I'm with pweegar on this one - scandisk is quick and easy for most problems (lost chains etc) but seems to be pretty inneffective against more serious errors (i.e. bad sectors on disk..) The command line - CHKDSK <drive> /f does seem to do a much better job (but can take a lot longer).

<< JOC >>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back