Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scan Disk must continually restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdeans

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2000
CA
When running ScanDisk in Win95, it will restart whenever it detects or thinks that something has written to the disk. I normally shut down any screen savers, antivirus programs, and all other programs but sometimes this is not enough as there is still something causing the ScanDisk to restart. Does anyone have any ideas as to what else Windows or some other program might be running to cause this?

Are you on a static internet connection or a network? If you are trading any info it may restart.
Have you tried ending task on everything but explorer and systray? Those are the only two you need to have running to do scandisk. Hope this helps.

Before you runscandisk do a ctrl-alt-del and end task all except the explorer and systray. If it still continues then you will have to boot into safe mode and run the scan disk. Have you run an up to date virus scan? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Hello kdeans!

This isnt realy the answear of your question but you can try to start Windows in Safe Mode before you run Scandisk. This will hopefully keep it from restarting.

Daniel Svensson

The particular computer involved has a static (non dialup) internet connection. This user has tried ending all tasks including Systray. He needs to run Scandisk in order to compress the disk. If he runs Scandisk in safe mode is he going to be able to compress from safe mode? I'll back up the registry and see what is starting from the run and run services keys that may be contributing. I'll post a follow up tomorrow with the results but it sounds like it will have something to do with the cable software for the internet connection.

The same thing happens to me and I have run scan disk in safe mofe. MOST annoying... (sigh)... good luck, let me know if you have any lyck.

I had that problem also. Mine was caused by Black Ice Defender. It constantly runs in the back ground but does not show up when you hit ctrl-alt-del. There is some ritual you have to go through to close it. This may be the same with other firewall software.

You can un scandisk from DOS, probably the best bet anyway. Command =
scandisk/fix/all

This way, you aren't even in Windows so it can't cause a problem. The only drawback is Windows won't record the scan in its disk maintenance log. No problem, though. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Immediate ammendment to the above: Command=
scandisk/all
(Getting muddled with scanreg.......) My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Not pertaining to your problem, but I wanted to let all know that I run Zone Alarm as a firewall, and have no troubles with Scan Disk after closing it from the system tray.

Fioracasey,

When I had BlackIce Defender, I just disabled it in the system tray and ScanDisk worked fine after that. Then, just enable it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back