Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scan disk error

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunka

Programmer
Jul 14, 2003
GB
For the last few months my scan disk hasn't been working.
Everytime i try to scan a drive it causes an error which crashes my computer. when I start the computer again, only way is to reset!, the blue screen saying windows wasn't shut down properly comes up and I let it run since this is a scan disk of sorts! It shows an error saying invalid long file name detected (or around those words!) comes up and it directs me to run scan disk to detect the problem, ironically! Have tried to replace the scan disk file with a friends but this doesn't work, it must be something else. It has ties with the system32.dll file which now and again pops it's head up saying something bad but I can't change that now can I!!! (?)
Can anyone suggest something? I'd appreciate it.

Start you computer in safe mode by pressing F8 before the windows starting message appears...This will give you a menu and choose Safe Mode. Run your scandisk with thorough and automatically fix enabled. Restart in normal mode.

Thanks for the tip but I already did that and the scan disk worked fine in safe mode, when I restarted it was still the same! But will try again.

remove ya HDD and install on some other machine it as a slave and run scandisk...also becareful abt ya data..mostly HDD fails after these sort of problems

jina01@hotmail.com

Or, hit F8 when first booting and choose command prompt only.
At the prompt change to the windows command directory. the command is: cd <directory>
So if the prompt says: &quot;c:\windows>&quot; then type &quot;cd command&quot; <enter>
The prompt should now looke like this: &quot;c:\windows\command>&quot;
Then type this: &quot;scandisk c: /autofix/nosave&quot; <enter>
This will run scandisk without any intervention. If you want you can add the &quot;/surface&quot; switch to do a surface scan. This will check for any bad sectors, but it will take a loooong time, especially on big drives.
(Of course, do not type the quotes, those are for info only.)

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back