Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scalloped corners made easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myershp

Technical User
Aug 2, 2004
US
Hi all,

I have been trying to figure out an easy way to make a rectangle with scalloped corners. I have seen them referred to filleted corners also.

Does anyone have a really easy way to do this? I tried doing a negative number with a rounded rectangle, but no dice.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason:

>>> I tried doing a negative number with a rounded rectangle, but no dice.

I like your thinking...

How about this:

Draw your rectangle;

Draw a circle that looks like the correct size;

Position the circle with its center on a corner anchor;

Duplicate the circle 3 times and do the same on the other 3 corners;

Select all, and in the pathfinder palette hit "Subtract from Shape Area" (Depending on your version of illustrator, it might also be called "Minus Front");

In CS and CS2, the shape will remain "live", so you can select the individual elements and move them around.

Another way would be to use a pattern brush with a quarter circle as a corner tile.

HTH

Bert

One other thing you can do is open the Brushes window, click the little triangle at the top right and go to Open Brush Library. Select "borders lines".

There are a couple in there - generally double lines - with the scalloped corner. If you use one of these you can change the color.

That's just quick and dirty.

Indesign has corner effects on the Object menu and lets you pick from 6, including the inverse rounded. It's odd that Adobe didn't include that under Stylize or something in AI since it would be so handy.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back