Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scaling of decimal value resulted in data truncation Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark929

Programmer
Nov 30, 2001
US
I’m trying to update an Access 2007 database with FY2009 data via ODBC. I’m using a simple make table query and setting criteria only on a date field. “>#9/30/2008# And <#10/1/2009#”

When I run the query, I keep getting this error. "Scaling of decimal value resulted in data truncation." I use this same date field criteria in other queries in the same database with no problems. I also used the same database last year without problems. It’s only the one query that gives the error. All other queries in the database populate their tables as expected.

Any ideas why this decimal error is being given on a date field? If you need additional info, please let me know. Thanks for the help.

Here's another clue if it helps. When I use FY2008 dates ">#9/30/2007# And <#10/1/2008#", the query works and populates the table as expected. It's only when I use the FY2009 dates ">#9/30/2008# And <#10/1/2009#" that it gives me the "Scaling of decimal value resulted in data truncation." error.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Thanks

IMO, there are records being processed that are different in some way. You can either review the data looking for uniqueness or just cut the date range in half continually until you isolate the record or records that generate this error.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back