Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scaling down

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebjo

Technical User
Jan 31, 2004
DE
I have an A3 photoshop doc with photos and text which needs to be scaled down to A5. Using the image size command my text seems to have become more pixeled. What is the best way for me to scale down, and are there any specifics I need to watch out for?

Seb

What method of Interpolation did you use?

You would usually use Bicubic sharper for resampling an image down in size - this method CAN oversharpen some images - if so, use Bicubic.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

Hmmm...I was told that bilinear (medium quality method) was best to use to shrink images.

bicubic is more precise but only for enlarging.
when shrinking, it's exactness can cause pixelation when pixels are discarded.

I was going by the Photoshop help files and my own experience.

Bilinear is, IMO, not noticably better at resampling images down - then again neither is it much, if any, worse.

It really depends on the image type. a degree of experimentation is required.

PS: 'Nearest neighbour' will produce loads of Pixelation so stay away from that.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

I agree it really depends on the image type or for that matter thye image itself.

Lots of sky with lots of water may shrink/enlarge quite well while a close-up picture of your dog may not.

And yes experimentation is ofter mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back