Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scaling and converting DWG to TIFF/PDF etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssidetv

Technical User
Aug 30, 2001
GB
I am a complete novice at Autocad so please bear with me!!
I commissioned some floor plans of properties, which look great in Autocad2000 when I zoom in on them but do not convert easily to other formats. I will be using these plans on the web.
The conversion is not actually the issue. Using the excellent Flatout or Cadserver programmes from Tailor Made Software the conversion is a snap. But the original ACAD drawings are so small that when they convert they lose all definition, such as text etc.
Details of the original file: there are 10 floor plans on the canvas (is that the right word? ;-)) and they appear as a tiny little bunch at the bottom of the page. I checked the properties of the file and found that its width was 3557' and height 1978'....mmmm, rather larger than I am used to!
Linetype scale was 18.

My intuition says if I scale the pics up and lose the vast acres of dead space in the file then they should convert more effectively. Can I crop out the blank space?

The original draftsman is away and I need to deal with this pronto. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Nick

Autocad has a file format which can be send over the web and seen by a browser. It is called drawing web file and is made by plotting the original .dwg file to .dwf.
Autocad installs an ActiveX control called Autocad Whip in the computer.
The receiver of the file doesn't need to install Autocad, only whip to see the file. The great thing about it is that you do not need to learn autocad for seeing or zooming into dwf files.
By the way the files are read-only.
Further more you can embed whip in applications where the end user only need to view. Think about it as the Acrobat PDF equivalent in drawing systems.

You have to print the original drawings to dwf format, just the way you would print it on paper. The difference is you can zoom it the way you like.

Regards S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

RGS-CAD,

Yes you can. In Autocad 2000 and 2002 go to File- Ploter manager and setup a raster printer choose the format TIFF and then you can set you plot styles to it and plot to a tiff file.

The scale of the drawing may be metric and not english. Multiply the area at 25.4 scale and see if the measure come out correctly.

This looks like a great tip, I have been having problems converting AutoCAD2000Lt to raster. I tried printing to file as suggested, and all seems to work, except I can't "Find" the file. When does it dump this Tiff file when complete?

to the last visitor (jo) :
you specify the location. Default may be something like
c:\temp
I also plot to a EPS file for best quality to export to either Corel or photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back