Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS2011 POP3 Collection Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicenswiftone

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2012
GB
We have installed a new SBS 2011 STD server.

Everything is running fine apart from one user the (unfortunately the CEO) who insists on collecting his email into Outlook 2010 via POP3.

I have setup POP3 for him and to start all looked fine.

But he has started noticing a very long delay before his Outlook picks up his mail from Exchange.

He is noticing this because he will get an email on his Blackberry that he wants to reply to in Outlook so he fires up his Outlook on his laptop and hits send and recv but Outlook says no messages it can then take from 10 mins up to 3 hours before outlook downloads the message,

I know the answer would be to use outlook over HTTPS and connect to Exchange properly but he insists on POP3 and he is the CEO.

Any ideas and help would be greatly recvd.

Many thanks

try this:

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

So a question I have is this: does the mail for this domain go directly to the Exchange server, or does it go to somewhere else and get downloaded? When the CEO connects via POP3, is he connecting to the Exchange server, or to somewhere off-site? Also, it could be that his local AntiVirus client on his laptop is having to scan each item before it is allowed into the inbox on his Outlook, and if the CEO deals with attachments, that may increase the time it takes to scan things.

Could you explain what the rationale of the CEO is for using POP3? It sounds like using POP3 solves a problem for him, and you haven't been able to explain effectively why that problem (and other more obvious problems) could be resolved by using Outlook Anywhere.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back