Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS2011 and Blackberry enterprise server express? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGillespie

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
GB
I'm looking to implement my first Blackberry enterprise express server and the documentation say that it's fine to install on a SBS2011.

Anyone done this and is it recommended to do this in "the real world"? There is a possability that I can install BES on a second server but this would increase costs.

Any advice gratefully received.
Paul.

If the documents allow for it, then it should be OK. how many BB users will there be? wouldnt it be nicer to implement direct push clients rather than BB? that just my opinion of BB however.

the other option is installing Hyper V and installing another windows server instance, or better still, like Ive just done, ESX and install SBS and 2K8 for my SQL server.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Thanks for the reply! Just because the docs say it can do it doesn't mean it's a good idea :)

I've heard of a few reliability problems with BES and if this is true then i'd rather not install it on a SBS.

Setup will be a Hyper-V Host with a SBS2011 and a RDS. There are also BES issues on a RDS server so I'd need a 3rd virtual server which wold add to the cost of the project, hence why i'm questioning the real world use of BES on SBS. I'd rather not have to reboot the SBS every time BES has an issue.

Direct push, what, just like iPhones? if so, YES!

Thanks, Paul.

using DP phones (Android, Win Mobie, iphone, Nokia) and I think BB will do it in a round about way will cure you from your BES infliction.

Personally, I wouldnt install BES on an SBS box and also I would avoid Hyper V on SBS - I tried it and it screwed my install!!! so went with what I knew works well and installed it all on VMWare, that way, if you need to reboot SBS box, it doesnt take BES down too!

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

I'm with you on the BES side!

I'd be installing a Hyper-V host then having a virtual SBS, no way would I instal Hyper-V on an SBS, in fact, I think you can't...

Cheers,
Paul.

SBS Licensing for Premium allow you to use the Premium Server twice, once as a HyperV host and once as an app server. The HyperV host would have to host both SBS and the app server. You cannot virtualize within SBS, it is restricted to a single NIC.

Please refer to my FAQ for BES setup on SBS as well as other tweaks you should be doing on SBS11.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Thanks Mark, that's a good FAQ.

Do you think it's a good idea to have BES on the SBS or would you always put it on its own server OS?

I've never dealt with BES so don't want to learn by my mistakes!

Client requires a RDS too, BESE doesn't install on a RDS (Ok, there's ways round it but it's not recommended!). would now need 3 virtual servers, SBS, BES and RDS. This is upping costs and installing BES on SBS would save a lot of money.....but only if BES and SBS play nicely together.

Thanks, Paul.

I have installed BES directly on SBS many times. It uses little overhead so there is little reason to pit it on a dedicated server.

That said I will also comment that I recommend to my customers to switch to Android phones when their Blackberries qualify for replacement. Anyone that switches is glad they did it.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Thanks Mark, very helpfull. I'm always against installing 3rd party apps on the SBS as I like my servers clean....

Any reason for in particular for android over BB? I'd rather avoid BBs altoghether TBH but the client wants them.

Cheers
Paul.

Android uses active sync. So no additional overhead at all. The bb products are quickly losing share as android is a far more versatile platform.

You can still remote wipe with android for security protection and can force passwords to access the phone. Plus you get access to a much larger pool of available applications.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Makes sense Mark, i've recommended Active Sync phones but the client wants BB....

Ah well.... :)

As the IT people we can only recommend what we consider to be best for the customer. They don't always listen.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back