Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS2008 TO sbs2008 migration Tool Wont run

Status
Not open for further replies.

brand1068

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2003
GB
I'm migrating SBS2008 to new hardware using the MS migration document (No I dont want to buy any software thanks)

When I run the source tool I first got an error showing 2003 server needed SP2 (Its not 2003 server is 2008...)

So I ran 2008 SP2 anyway and now it gets further but end up with cannot prepare the source server for migration....

The error log shows

ProgressPage: Starting task Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Migration.LicensingQFE
Current version: 6.0.6002.131072
Service pack version = 2
Running C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\tools\KB943494\WindowsServer2003-KB943494-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart
Package returned: 1603 (0x643)
ProgressPage: Task Finished. Succcess=False

Which would seem to indicate that this tool was for 2003 not 2008 ?

Can I use the tool from the SBS2011 cd pack ?

Chris

Honestly, you need to paste more from the log than you did. There should be some earlier information that would be more informative about the nature of the failure.

I would not want to use the SBS 2011 source tool. As you probably know, the 2008 source tool does five main things:

1) installs a patch that allows the server to wait 21 days after losing the FSMO roles before freaking out. This can be downloaded and run manually as a separate patch.

2) Updates the schema to handle Win 2008 DCs (not needed in this case).

3) Updates Exchange to 2003 Native mode (not needed).

4) Checks for any blocking conditions that would prevent the migration from succeeding.

5) Flips some bits to prove that you've successfully run the tool.

If using the 2011 source tool changed the schema in such a way to prevent the introduction of a new Exchange 2007 server, that would be bad, so I wouldn't do that.

Once you provide more log info, I'll provide more feedback.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back