Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS2003 on PE800. Need RAID controller sugges

Status
Not open for further replies.

jferrante

MIS
Aug 6, 2003
US
Hello all,

I've got a new PE800 server for my own small/home office. 5 XP Pro workstations. I will be installing SBS 2003.

I bought this server fairly stripped down, just the on-board SATA controllers. I've got the RAM up to 2gigs, now I'm adding hard drives.

I intended to use 2- 250gig SATA drives with the onboard RAID controller with mirroring. This board has an adaptec RAID chipset. The motherboard chipset is the i7221.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has had experience using just the on-board SATA controllers for a simple RAID setup. Does it work well enough, etc. Should I spend the extra $300 for a PCIx RAID controller and adding a third drive for RAID 5?. I'm not concerned with the extra speed but I certainly want redundancy. Is the extra controller worth it? Do the on-board controllers have any issues? Pros and cons??? Also, Does the PE800 have any issues with any particular controller cards. I'm considering the Broadcom Raidcore 4452 if I do add one.

All opinions and comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back