Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS2000 with a Windows 2K server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducatista

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2006
US
I am currently running SBS2000 and I need to add a fileserver to my network - I have run out of space on my SBS and with the RAID configuration I have setup, I cannot expand the array any further.

Currently I have an XP Pro machine setup as a temporary fileserver, but since I have 20 users all needing to get to the various shared folders on it, throughout the day certain users cannot access the shared folders, ie" \\XPfileserver is not accessible No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept"

Does SBS2000 allow adding another server to the Domain if I were to add a machine running Windows 2K Server? I seem to remember something that SBS2000 does not allow additional servers to be added to the domain, is this correct?

Thanks,
RL

SBS 2000/2003 can have other Windows servers in the domain without any problem AS LONG AS the SBS server is the AD FSMO master in the domain. If the SBS server was installed/activated first, it will be in that capacity and won't give it up.

You can simply join the other servers to the domain as you would normally.

The restriction you're thinking of is that SBS cannot form a domain trust with other domains, or join itself into an existing domain.

Thanks dkediger, now I can move on!

In appreciation,
RL

I think I may be running into this issue fairly soon as well. I have 19 desktops accessing one server w/ 1gb memory and a xeon 2.5ghz processor. I have 2 distributed apps accessing DBaseIV, Access, and SQL Server as well as internal Outlook email and file storage/sharing all on the one server. Anyone have advice on best practices and/or the next step?

will upgrading parts be enough or is it best to start separating server functions to other servers?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back