Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS doesn't repsond on port 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebBreinholt

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
US
I have an SBS server that sends, but does not receive e-mail. When I use Telnet to test port 25, the link terminates as soon as I type anything. I have used the wizard several times to make sure SMTP is active. What would cause SBS to drop the link so quickly?

Check to make sure that any firewall type device placed before the server is set to allow port 25 (SMTP) incoming to the NIC address on your server. You may also have to set some port forwarding settings so that traffic is routed to your server. It really depends on what network configuration you are using with your SBS server (1 NIC with router, 2 NIC with router, 2 NIC no router). Go somewhere off your LAN and try to "telnet FQDN_OF_SERVER 25"
Do you get any response?

It is working now. I was not able to telnet to port 25 from either the inside or outside until I found the problem. I found that some how we were only accepting mail from our smart host. I changed the settings to accept mail from everywhere and now we are recieving mail (and can telnet to port 25).

To change the settings I went to the Exchange manger, default virutal server, properties, connection, clicked on "all except".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back