Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 4.5 What ports SHOULD be open & Lockdown 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

araspa

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2003
AU
My old old SBS 4.5 box that management wont let me get rid of, has been hacked to no extent this week it seems.

When I do a port scan it seems Ive got a million open. My question to you is..... (If you can help!)

What ports should be open in the Services file (C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\service)

And how else should I lock down this PC.

The only thing we need to ensure is that MS exchange 5.5 works and this pc can still be used as a proxy for the internet. Apart from this ... no other services are needed.

Cheers
Anthony

Port 25 for SMTP mail has to be open to the 'outside'
Otherwise all other ports should not be allowed to the outside world.
If you're on a modem connection then your SBS box will be exposed to the big bad untrusted world of the internet.

The easiest way to block all other ports on the RAS is to use a personal firewall (I know its a bit clunky but it works pretty well!)

If you're on a routed connection to the internet then your router provider / ISP should be able to configure the access rights to your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back