Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 4.5 to SBS 2000 Migration - NT4 BDC Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMRIC

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2003
Hi there, I'm going to be carrying out a migration upgrade from 4.5 to 2000 in the near future, and despite feeling pretty confident all will go well I have one concern! The SBS 4.5 is the current PDC in the domain, with an NT4 server running a database application acting as a BDC. I am concerned about the implications of having this NT server when I bring the new server online.

I am aware that an NT4 server can act as a BDC to a 2000 server installed in mixed-mode but I have only seen this documented in scenarios where the NT4 server is added after. With the NT server already running what will happen if the old PDC disappears and a new 2000 DC comes online? I am not worried if the BDC is not functional (i.e. does not authenticate logins) as long as the two servers will work.

Any ideas please let me know,
Thanks,
Richard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back