Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2008 Server Unable to load Companyweb or router Web Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiffshifter

Technical User
Aug 23, 2011
GB
Intermittently, for about 3 months, my SBS 2008 Server (Dell 2900) has been unable to load web based (port 80) pages through IE8, Especially On Server restart the access is again available for a period of sometimes days, sometimes hours. Have tried all the Console wizards, have tried installing Firefox. Still no joy. I am working mostly remotely so if i fire up a VPN connection i can connect to the relevant pages and if i use RWW/OWA i can also access the required pages.
Have been through the logs and can see no administrative events happening after a restart that would stop access. IPCONFIG /all shows the gateway is still there and not being lost as reported in other posts. WSUS suffers as well as Trend WFBS 6.0 when internet access is down as neither appear able to access there respective websites for updates.
Any ideas or thoughts where to look for a culprit?

Take a look at the power management settings of your server NIC and make sure the default has been changed. By default the NIC is set to allow the PC to shut it down to save power.

You might also want to verify that NIC link speed is explicitly set rather than set to Auto. If your switch and the server are both set to Auto then there can sometimes be a negotiation storm that causes a major freak out. Setting one side or the other usually fixes that issue.

You might also want to disable TOE.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back