Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2008 opening network files and email attachments randomly veeeeery slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

berrick

Technical User
Jul 28, 2003
GB
As I am running out of ideas I was wondering if anyone here may have come across something like this before.

SBS 2008 is running on a Dell T310 server with 8Gb RAM. PerfMon is showing the CPU as hardly being used and although the memory usage is quite high I'm not seeing insane disk activity (I have seen VM's that have far less resource then this but don't display these traits).

I have made some checks and can't find any duplex mis match settings on NIC's. Nothing obvious to me in eventvwr. It seems to effect all desktop users of which there are only 7!

Thanks in advance

Try completely uninstalling AV (just the client, not the AV Management tools or server) on the server. Some AV options (specifically from Trend but also from others) have been known to cause these symptoms. Alternately, first try uninstalling AV completely on a workstation and seeing if the speed issue goes away.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Thanks for the reply, forgot to mention that this server was running Symantec and it was one of the first things I did.

By way of an update I found that the sharepoint SQL was eating far to much memory. As this company doesn't use Sharepoint I reduced the amount of memory it could use. The server was scheduled for a reboot last night so will see if things have improved over the next few days.

Any other ideas about this issue would still be most welcome though.

:)

This is most often caused by AV, and often on the client side. Have you completely disabled AV on a client workstation and then tested file transfer speeds from there? Please try that first. Then we'll move on to other possibilities.

What's your disk configuration?

Also, there should only be one enabled NIC.

Lastly, check out this KB and see if the errors listed there are ones on your server: they address a known network issue that SBS 2008 can have if Windows 2008 SP2 hasn't been installed.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Hi ShackDaddy, interesting KB.

I have taken over responsibility for this server from a predecessor and I am unfortunately fire fighting at the mo. The KB does mention Events 404 and 408 which are present in eventvwr. Although I have asked my customer to log the time and days they have problems, to date they haven't done so :(

I have also noted on this server that no updates have been applied so will install SP2 which should address the problem outlined in the KB.

On a brighter note my customer has said they have seen a general improvement since I adjusted the amount of memory the sharepoint DB was using. Lets see if this continues to be the case

Thanks again, will update later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back