Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2003 system backup advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusO

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2001
AU
Hello,

I am quite new to back-ups. I have a SBS 2003 and a HP Storeworks DAT 72 USB connected. Tapeware came for free with the tape drive but from what I have read on the Internet, people don't seem to like it very much.

My aim is to do a complete system backup, preferably an image of some sort, using the tape drive. It doesn't matter if the server is up and running or not but it is important to be able to schedule it so it is done automatically. I have tried to do a normal 'full backup' with Tapeware but there are always lots of locked files that aren't copied.

So, what seems to be the best way to create a complete system backup that easily can be restored in case of a disaster?

Cheers,
Marcus

Hi

Have you looked at using the backup solution built into SBS 2003?

You can backup open files with this as SBS 2k3 uses the Volume Shadow Copy service to backup open files.

There are many other solutions available as well if you want to go for a 3rd party solution ie. a cheap solution such as or spend a bit more and go for a more robust solution such as Backup Exec from Veritas - both offer open file backup options.

PinnacleData Systems (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back