Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2003 Prem, Can't load SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcsanadi

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2001
US
We have a Small Business Server 2003 Prem, We have SQL with SP4 and Exch with SP1, We just uninstalled the ISA as it is not needed. Following the directions to Install SP1 we ran the Windows Server 2003 SP1 update, and has gone through, except on reboot it blue screens, we removed the SP through the recovery console. It came back up. Gave it a few weeks.

We tried it again over the weekend and it goes through backing up the files then the registry, It pops up to tell us the WINS needs to be stopped then it pops up a message saying Failed to install Catalog Files, Press OK to undo changes that have been made. Then it says window may not run succesfully because of partial service pack install. It reboots then comes up fine, Everything seems fine except all the licenses were wiped out. Easily fixed.

Not sure what to try next.

Similar situation: SP1 update hangs after stopping the WINS service and stops with "Failed to install catalog files." Licenses are not wiped out in my case, however. Followed instuctions set out in MSKB822798 to no avail.

Lets make sure everything has been done in the right order.

1. Install Windows 2003 SP1. Reboot
2. Install SharePoint SP2
3. Install Exchange 2003 SP2
(must remove IMF first if installed)
4. Install SBS SP1

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the post.

However, I can't complete step 1. That's where the error message described above is thrown.

Anything logged int he event logs or how about the SP1 setup log?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

In Mark's list, before step 4, add the Client deployment package for XP SP2. This adds the XP SP2 package in the clientapps share, and makes it available when using \connectcomputer

Also, before starting, update your ASR, and also a full backup including system state. Then reboot and try Mark's list.

Are you sure of the stability of the SP file?

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back