Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2003 ntbackup backup folder editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepseadata

Technical User
Jul 10, 2008
DE
Hi everyone,

I had a guy come in and implement an ntbackup solution. It looks like this on my backup drive.

I'd like to figure out what folders are included in each of these jobs but the more I read the more complicated it seems.

My users all have a backed up storage share on a volume on my SBS2003. I've moved the location of their storage to a new drive.

Can anyone shed light on what the typical tasks would be tell ntbackup not to back the old location up and instead backup the new location I've created?

I can see the files and scheduled tasks.. but I can't seem to find what folders were chosen for each job.

Look in the scheduled tasks folder in Control Panel and the properties of the jobs. It should point to a backup command line including a BKS file which has the backup selection in it. You can edit it with NOTEPAD.

Or rather, copy the BKS file and look at it. It can get corrupted during editing.

You could also OPEN the BKF file in NTBACKUP and see what is backed up there. You will be able to see the paths.

Thanks!

I had another look around and in the ntbackup's "recent files" it shows these 4 files. There are another 10 scheduled backup jobs but I can't figure out how to display them.

I have the list of scheduled jobs. I have the bkf's on the backup drive. I tried opening them in ntbackup but nothing happens...

When I highlight the recent files it shows the black checks that indicate what folders were chosen.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Okay!

I've learned some stuff that I should share.

If you look in C:\WINDOWS\Tasks you'll see all the jobs that are scheduled. You'll see the backup jobs in there, too. Right click a backup and look in the "run" area. That's the script that has your .bks file name buried in it. The bks file decides what is being backed up in that job. (from what I can tell)

Take that bks name and do a search.

All my .bks's (and some cool logs) were found in this folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data

Too look at what is included in a bkf file you can use notepad to view and/or make changes to what is backed up or excluded. (please don't take my word for it though)

If you confirm that I'm right (or especially if I'm wrong) please post a reply ASAP. I'm ready to do some butchering.

DSD

If you look in C:\WINDOWS\Tasks you'll see all the jobs that are scheduled. You'll see the backup jobs in there, too. Right click a backup and look in the "run" area. That's the script that has your .bks file name buried in it. The bks file decides what is being backed up in that job.

Didn't I tell you that in my first reply?

Too look at what is included in a bkf file you can use notepad to view and/or make changes to what is backed up or excluded.

You mean BKS file. BKS is the "what to backup list" and BKF is the actual backup file with data in it.

You can edit the BKS file with notepad, but make a backup of it first.

This is the anatomy of that long command string in the scheduled task if you care to look:

Other info:

May I say that I'm a little concerned that you're messing with something very important (backup) that you may not have the skills to deal with. You may want to learn and you may want to figure out what's going, but be careful. And verify that the backup is backing up what you want after changing things.

The best way to do that is open the backup program, choose the last backup and SEE WHAT'S IN THERE. Then restore a file or folder to a different location to verify that the backup is viable. Not trying to be preachy, but this is where people are fired when push comes to shove and no restore is possible.

Looking back at your reply I can see what you mean't now. I didn't understand it before.. sorry.

I think it was because I was trying to open the .job files and thought i could edit THAT with notepad. I feel pretty silly now that I understand.

I never was able to open a bkf file though.

Thanks for the warning about this topic. There's already a backup running that has never been tested (that I didn't setup).

I don't plan on any major changes. I'm just going to include a new folder. It "seems" pretty easy now.

It's funny that once you know the buzz words searching for answers is easy. It was the .bks search that had all the info.

Thanks Goomba! This isn't the first time you've helped me....

DSD

You're welcome, but.....

There's already a backup running that has never been tested

This is a recipe for disaster if you haven't tested any of your backups with a restore. Get somebody to help you if necessary but don't let it slide without KNOWING your backup can yield data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back