Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2003 need 2 SMTP servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milesy

Technical User
Dec 4, 2003
GB
I have a single SBS 2003 box that is running fine. I have set up the exchage side of thing and all is well. My question is. At the moment we have the SMTP set to Mycompany so are E-mails are Me@Mycompany.com We are rebranding part of our business so we now need Me@NewBIZ.com. Can this be done with SBS2003??

Thanks

Craig Miles, CCNA

Thanks for the link. Its a little above my head, I seem to be able to follow the first half then I seem to lose the idea. I'll give it another go in the morning when I am fresh.

Thank

Craig Miles, CCNA

Be prepared to have some emails rejected as SPAM by some companies, particularly emails addresses from AOL, Yahoo, MSN & Hotmail.

These companies and MANY more now require an RDNS lookup to resolve to your company. The IP can only be registered and resolved on an RDNS lookup to ONE address.

You are most likely going to need to add a second public IP address and second (or 3rd) NIC to the server to be able to get around this. Create a second Virtual SMTP Server and route traffic from that domain to it. Set the RDNS for the new IP to match the second domain name.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Cheers Markdmac,

I have been doing a load of reading on this and had come up with the same thing. I was just about to post a question on it, but you beet me to it.

So to sum up . I only have a single SBS2003 box with 2 nics one LAN one WAN and a single static IP address.

I need to add another NIC and create a Virtual SMTP server.
Do I need another static ip address or can I just get me Web hoster to update there DNS, so when some one send an E-mail to my new domain it will get forwarded to my old ip?
If so how do I direct the infomation to the correct Nic when it gets here?

I am new to this so please go easy with the answer :)

Craig Miles, CCNA

You can create as many virtual SMTP servers as you like and they are independent of the NICs. You will however want to be able to direct the traffic from that SMTP server to a different NIC and as such you should add the 3rd NIC.

You will need a second static IP address so you can register it with the new domain name and set up the RDNS.

The new Virtual SMTP Server will listen on the new IP for mail from the new domain.

Using the recipient update policy mentioned in Pat's post is a good way to be getting mail for multiple domains, however if your users have email addresses from both companies, the default address would be used for replies. Even when the default address is changed, I have seen problems with the RDNS resolution so I don't feel this is a viable alternative (though it was the way I used to do it too until companies started to enforce the RDNS lookup).

Regards,

Mark

Strange. I am running Exchange 5.5 with many many email domains off one static IP address and have never had any problem with mail being rejected. Is this issue unique to SBS 2003, or ?? If not, how will this affect small ISP's hosting multiple domains?

There's no problem running multiple email domains on an SBS. I really don't understand all the conversation around needing separate IP's though... it's not necessary.

Please follow the guidance of this blog post to establish additional email domains on your SBS:

Jeff
TechSoEasy

TechSoEasy, the issue we were discussing is the need by some major domains like AOL, Yahoo, MSN, Hotmail etc that require an RDNS lookup to resolve correctly otherwise they bounce email back as SPAM.

An RDNS lookup can ONLY resolve an IP to a single domain name which is why we were recommending the extra NICs and IPs.

Regards,

Mark

I'm sorry, I didn't see anything about RDNS in the initial question at all. I believe that the discussion went in that direction but didn't need to.

Jeff
TechSoEasy

By the way, in my experience those ISPs do not require that the PTR record have the same domain name as the sending address. They generally just require that a Reverse record exists. For those that do care about matching, an SPF record will solve the problem.

I have a number of web servers that host hundreds of domain names on a single IP address, each domain has it's own email running just fine. There is no need for separate IPs in order to accomplish this.

Jeff
TechSoEasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back