Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sbs 2003 Companyweb errors SOLVED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrinsmith

Technical User
Feb 13, 2010
AU
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share my hair-pulling escapades getting the internal website to work on SBS 2003.
By way of background the problem I was having was that OWA, RWW and OMA were all working fine, but companyweb wouldn't. It never did.
This was a fresh install of SBS2003 with all updates and service packs installed.
It would give all sorts of crazy server error in application type errors. (Not 404, if you're getting that then you have DNS issues and there is a hotfix for it, make sure you've installed all updates and service packs).
The problem turned out to be quite simple to fix.
Bascially all the other websites (RWW OWA OMA) need .net 1.1. Now if you go to IIS manager, expand your local server, click on Websites, and then right-click on "companyweb" then click the ASP.NET tab, the version of ASP.NET should be 1.1.4322. If it is 2.0 then change it to 1.1. The reason for that is that the web server can't run TWO versions of ASP.NET at the same time, so you need to pick one. Pick 1.1 cause the other sites don't work with 2.0.
Now here's the clanger, with a fresh install of sharepoint services, all the companyweb files that get installed are installed requiring ASP.NET 2.0. This results in all sorts of application errors because the pages are coded for ASP.NET 2.0 NOT ASP.NET 1.1 (which the web server is running) and therefore ASP.NET 1.1 just doesn't know all those commands. (ie a kind of syntax error).
But luckily help is at hand. On the server
1) open a command window (start->run->cmd)
2) cd "program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\60\bin"
3) type "stsadm -o upgrade -forceupgrade -url and hit enter. (see MS Article ID: 894903).
A window will pop up saying the files are being updated and it could take some time. (if it's s fresh install then it only takes less than a minute).
When it's finished the companyweb site should open.
Now if you get prompted for a password, then you need to go to the sharepoint services central administration which is located at (log in as administrator) then under security configuration click manage web site users. (for site URL use and add users as required.
I can't believe that MS screwed this up, but they did, however the fix is relatively easy, it just took me weeks to finally figure it out.
Thanks and good luck
DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back