Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamapollo

MIS
Aug 22, 2001
AU
I have setup sbs 2000 but I am not sure what IP address my router should be and how and when do I reenable the network card connected to my router.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Hi,

Your not very descriptive! Is this router going to be plugged into the internet, or your LAN?

Do you have a local network, then your SBS, and then a router to the Internet? (Like a client of mine), or just a SBS and server, or just a LAN?

Steve Hewitt

The general rule of thumb is as follows:

Settings on the server machine:

Your internal NIC has NO gateway
Your external NIC is gatewayed out to your Internet router

Settings for client machines - either fixed or ideally DHCP:

Gateway is the IP address of the servers Internal NIC

eg:

Server's internal NIC is 192.168.0.1
Server's external NIC is 192.168.0.2

Client's IPConfig is
IP Address: (say) 192.168.0.10
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Hany Mustapha
Excellent Technology Solutions in the UK -

But if your using SBS you will have ISA server. In this case you WILL have to put your router on NIC2 of the server but have both the router AND the NIC2 on the server on a different subnet, otherwise ISA will not realise its an external IP.

Well, thats what the book and what TT said. I couldn't get the sodding thing to work regardless. Needless to say - ISA has gone!

Steve Hewitt

ISA is a bit of a monster, but does actually work. Best thing to do is use the wizard off the SBS Administrator console - don't try and do it manually until u've seen the results of the wizard's configuration.

Hany Mustapha

Hello

Thanks for your replies and sorry I was not descriptive. The SBS2000 server has 2 NIC's. the first nic has been enabled from the beginning and SBS has been installed with all its defaults. This means that the first nic has been given the ip address of 192.168.16.2 and is connected to the internal network that all the clients are connected to. The second NIC has been disabled so far (as I was told is recommended) and will be connected to an adsl router for the networks hopefully secure internet connection.

Problem is is that the sbs doc says the external nic should be on a different subnet but gives no guidelines on what ip address and subnet the nic and router should be on?

Thats what I am trying to find out. ISA is also running in default configuration.

Please help

Michael

Michael

You actually got the ADSL router / connection? if not, then no point in enabling the external NIC. If so, then you will need to ensure that the LAN side of the router is configured to be able to see the subnet that the external NIC is on...

eg

Server's internal NIC is 192.168.0.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0
Server's external NIC is 192.168.0.2 Subnet 255.255.255.0
ADSL Router's LAN port is: 192.168.0.3 Subnet 255.255.255.0

If you need to, I've got my MSN messenger logged in - hany.mustapha at EWSMail.com

Hany Mustapha

put it like this

internal nic: 192.168.1.10 subnet:255.255.255.0
external: 192.168.0.10 subnet: 255.255.255.0

make sure you use any wizards when they are available, SBS isnt like 2k, if you dont use the wizards most of the time you cant get anything to work.

reenable the second nic before you start the internet connection wizard

Hi!

I couldn't of said it better myself. A star for simplicity!

Steve Hewitt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back