Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 03 Standard - best way to block users from websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipperc

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2002
US
Hi, New to SBS

I have standard, so no ISA server or Proxy server.

I also inherited a NetScreen 5GT without the websense service.

Now for the question... What is the best way to block my users from myspace & hotmail?

Thanks in advance.

Tell them you have keylogging software installed on the server and visiting those sites is forbidden...worked for me. Alternative would be a SonicWALL appliance + ViewPoint software. Most "net nanny" programs are easily defeated. KGBSpy is an excellent keylogger, if you change the default hotkey combination it really is stealthy, and installs on the client.

Tony

Well,

I could use a keylogger to keep tabs on what they do. But that would be a lot of work when there are 20 employees.

I want to be able to stop them from getting the these sites in the first place.

Thanks

I just create a new forward lookup zone in the local DNS for myspace. Then create a in that zone that points to 127.0.0.1 or to the IP of your company's website. Then they would have to know the IP address of the sites to get to them, and that's not guaranteed to work either.

You don't want to do that for hotmail.com, otherwise your mail server will be unable to send mail to hotmail.com accounts. You would need to create this domain: hotmail.msn.com, since that's the domain that all hotmail mail retrieval uses.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

You don't want to do that for hotmail.com
This is precisely for that reason that I suggested a local hosts file instead of tweaking the SBS DNS server ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back