Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBC IPCS Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyan656

Vendor
Mar 6, 2009
US
Hi Everyone!

I have a question regarding SBC SSH login. I want to create a new login for SNMP monitoring and don't want to use the IPCS login.
In EMS I can set up an admin account, but doesn't have SSH access. Does anyone know how I can create a new login to monitor my SBC via a SNMP probe?

If you're probing via SNMP, the only version that supports user/pass is SNMPv3, so just build an SNMP profile in the EMS as v3 with a user/pass. Those aren't accounts in Linux, like ipcs or in the webserver, like ucsec, but just for the SNMP configuration.

So with SNMPv3 is that only for trap/push from SBC? or can that login be a pull from SBC via SNMP tool as well? Bi-directional?

its only for pull. When you build a SNMPv3 user on a device, that's the account the device will allow to poll it.
When you setup traps, you setup a destination, as either SNMP v1/2/3. V2 uses a community string, v3 uses accounts.

So, if you were to setup SNMPv3 traps on your SBC, you'd be telling the SBC to send it's traps to IP address X and to authenticate with credentials that the NMS validates and then allows your trap.

A typical setup might have your NMS guy say 'tell all your devices to trap to me by V3 with user name "nms" and password "traps"' and then you build your SNMP polling profiles on each box and tell the NMS guy he can poll the sbc with account sbcsnmp and pw saiyan656

SNMPv3 can be used for both traps and for polling. It is setup in the web interface.

Please note there are several recent versions of the ASBCE where the SNMP configuration does not work correctly and a couple where the SNMPv3 values will no longer work after reboot. After configuration of SNMPv3 you should check the SNMP configuration file to validate the SNMPv3 user was created on both the SBC and the EMS servers. This should be fixed in 8.0 however I have not had time to verify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back