Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBC and SIP trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

zodiacgam

Technical User
Jun 23, 2009
GM
Can SIP trunks be connected to a PSTN or Internet without SBC. Inother words is SBC necessary in all cases

To answer your question, one must understand the function of the SBC in the design.
SBC (Session Border Controller) basic role is to be the gateway that controls the communication between the inside world (LAN) to the outside world (WAN).
It acts as security appliance as well protecting your infrastructure from unwanted attack from the www.

So if you are connecting to an OTT (internet based) SIP trunk, it's strongly advisable to have a firewall in the middle to handle the inside -outside mapping.
This is where the SBC or Mitel's MBG comes in. You can use your own firewall for this function too, but you need to follow SIP guideline or you will all sorts of trouble with audio.

Clever men learns what Wise men shares!

Sip proxy also provides a single interface for the Signalling and Voice traffic totraverse
some sip trunk providers require this
Mitel phones will stream peer peer for audio ( only signalling is always via the MIVB itself)
so having a SIP proxy or SBC helps to force the audio via a known single interface

Its also very handy for doing captures of the entire trunk conversation ( signalling and RTP) for troubleshooting purposes

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back