Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

@Say and @Get in VFP7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArevProgrammer

Programmer
Apr 7, 2001
US
Hello,

I have a .APP program written in VFP 5 that I call from within VFP 7, and the @say statements that draw lines are not showing correctly. They do display correctly sometimes, but not all of the time. I am wondering if I should do a complete rewrite of the .APP program, being that the @say statments are just for backwards compatibility.

Thanks.

Scott

ArevProgrammer

It depends, can you live with the problem? If not consider how long the re-write will take. Can you afford the time? I'm suprised that a VFP5.0 app would use that technique.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

I agree with Mike. @...SAY has been deprecated since VFP3.

If you can afford the time/effort for the rewrite, it would be your best solution going forward.

Having said that, _screen.Fontname (and other font properties) and Form.Font* properties can alter the output of @...SAY. Have you fiddled with those?

To add my sympathy to your situation:
We have an app that still has some windows in it constructed with @SAY/GET's, but long ago (when moving to VFP3) we found getting them to produce lines consistently to be difficult because there was no good linedraw font that was readily accessible on all windows machines.

So, we dropped ALL line drawing with @Say, but the @GET's are very reliable.

ArevProgrammer

First, let me say that I agree with the suggestion of looking at a rewrite. It's probably time for it anyway if it you're still using this approach.

However, I'd like to add that a system I supported, and later rewrote, used a lot of @say commands.

It displayed @says on the form, but would not always clean them up afterwards. Sometimes it did - sometimes it did not.

Anyway, what I did (prior to the rewrite) was add a container on the form, the VISIBLE property was FALSE. It was really tiny and I made it RED so it would stick out in design mode.

In the Routine that executed the @say commands I changed the container color to the background color to the form background color. I change the top/left/height/width to the form settings, and set VISIBLE to TRUE. I then did all my @says (on the container) and when I was done I reset the container to its original setting including VISIBILE = FALSE. This cleared up all the @say mess.

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

...the @say statements that draw lines are not showing correctly. ...

In the meantime, check to see if the forms or screens or whatever have different fonts. That will affect how they are displayed.

-Dave S.-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back