Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving to a save file (SAVF) on a remote system... Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdacquisto

Programmer
May 15, 2003
US
Is it possible to save objects to a SAVF on a remote system?

We have our Domino on an LPAR and I need to develop a way to backup the data to the main partition so it can be saved to a tape drive with is connected to the system on the main partition only.

I could do a savf and then FTP it to the main partition.. Is there an easier way?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks.

Tom.

Not sure what RSF is. Can you expand?

thanks.

Tom.

RSF is a client-server sort of application that allows you send libraries, objects, and other sort of things through tcp/ip. We use the utility a lot here. I am not sure the cost, but I know it doesn't come with the OS. Here is the link to purchase it:
iSeriesCodePoet
iSeries Programmer/Lawson Software Administrator
[pc2]
See my progress to converting to linux.

How could I save data from one partition to a save file on another partition using FTP???? I don't think this is possible.

I could save data to the save file on the partition, then FTP the save file to the other partition. That is easy.

Tom.

Create your savf and do your backup for the Domino server, then FTP it to your primary partition, then do your nightly backup. It would be best if you could at least share the drive with the primary partition or have a seperate drive. Do else would you do disaster recovery or system saves?

iSeriesCodePoet
[pc2]

Hi iSeriesCodePoet, guess you didn't understand - I know how to do what you've suggested. That's a no-brainer.

My problem is this:

We don't have the DASD available to create the save file on the Domino partition, which is why I'm trying to figure out a way to save the data to a save file on the main partition.

Oh... I see. I would highly recommend trying to share the tape drive between the two partitions. I don't know if it is possible. Or get another one.

You really need one connected so you can do system saves and such.

iSeriesCodePoet
[pc2]

Our IBM rep says they sell a partition developer's package that would allow me to dynamically share the drive, but it's more expensive than buying a new tape drive! DOH!

My CIO has agreed to purchase some additional DASD so I can save everything to a SAVF and then FTP it to the main partition and save it off, so that's what I'll do.

I thought there might be some sort of remote savf that I could create, similar to a DDM file, but I couldn't find any such thing..

Thanks for your assistance.

Tom.

I have been doing this for a long time. Use FTP to send your file to the remote system then just use QUOTE to run an AS400 command remotely. Here's an FTP file example.

user TEST
TEST
ascii

put c:\data\PayFile.txt HRLIB/Payfile(*first)

quote RCMD SBMJOB CMD(HRLIB/PSCRTOBJ DLTMOD(*YES) RMVOBS(*YES) DEBUG(*YES) ) JOB(UPDATEPAY) CURLIB(HRLIB) HOLD(*NO)
quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back